Wednesday, May 29, 2013

It's raining in NYC

Hello family and friends!
It's been a rainy week in Staten Island but that doesn't keep us from sharing the light of the gospel!  This week wasn't very eventful... It was probably the slowest and least busy week on my mission. But that doesn't mean I didn't learn a lot because I most certainly did!  You learn something new everyday here. Like it's not safe to stand on wood floor beams that have been torn apart from a hurricane... I fell through the floor of a house we were scrubing mold in but no worries! Only a couple of bruises :)  My companions and I are learning how to teach as a trio which is kinda a challenge but I am learning a lot about the kind of love, patience, and selfless service Christ has for each of us.  Christ's entire life was spent doing His Father's work. Everything He said and did was not for himself, but for His Father. That is how I want to live my mission. It's hard to explain but it's something I am working on daily. Another thing I learned this week is that the only way we can become better everyday is to commit ourselves to changing or improving everyday.  That means we have to set goals and follow up on whether or not we are achieving these goals.  One goal I am currently working on is to write a goal based on what I studied and then to apply it throughout the day and at night try to determine if I completed it or if there is something I can do to continue to work on it. I feel like I am kind of rambling on right now but I hope that makes sense haha
Anyway, my invitation to you to help you come unto Christ is from Helaman. When Samuel the Lamanite was about to turn away and go home because he wasn't having success, the Lord told him to go and preach what it is in his heart. I thought about that phrase and realized that that's exactly how you and I can share the gospel. Share what's in your heart. That's all there is to it! I love my Savior, I love His gospel, and I love my family. So that is what I will share with the people here even though there way of life is much different than mine.  We are all different in this world, but we all need the Savior. It's universal. But also very personal. I am so grateful for the love He gives me daily. He truly strengthens me and lifts me and enables me to teach and love in His way.  I met a member this week who is a retired nurse. She was shocked when I turned down the nursing magazine she tried to give me but I was able to bear my testimony to her that the Lord has called me to provide an eternal service for his brothers and sisters. One that no amount of schooling would ever measure up to. "I am set apart from the world to serve the Lord, Jesus Christ." The mission vision President Calderwood has created is divinely inspired. It is my desire to make that vision the description of my mission.
Also...when we ask ourselves "why?" quickly ask, "why not?" The Savior took upon himself every pain, every affliction, every heartache, and struggle. So why shouldn't we?  We can't give back to the Lord anything that He has given us, but we can use the agency He has given us to choose to follow Him and become like Him.  I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the restored gospel of Jesus Christ once again on the earth. It is led and guided by a prophet of God who has been called to assist us in our lives.  This gospel is the way for us to have happiness and peace in this life. Share what's in your hearts, whenever and to whoever you can. I love you and thank you for all of your prayers and support. I am so blessed to have such an amazing family. I can't express how grateful I am to have been raised in a home where the gospel is the foundation. Sorry this email is all over the place haha I hope you have a wonderful last week of school!! Thanks again for everything!!
Love, Sister Meyer








No comments:

Post a Comment