Sunday, May 5, 2013


Dear Family,

Sorry I didn’t get to email this week. My companion has been sick for a few days and as we went to the library she ran into the bathroom and threw up. I feel terrible and pray continually that she will have strength. She is such an amazing girl. Prayers are truly answered. I have no doubt. The first few weeks I had a hard time really loving her and I wanted so badly to support, love and learn from her. But the Lord has blessed me even more than that. Sister Jorgensen is so willing to ask for forgiveness, is always telling people she loves them and is constantly following the spirit. I love her so much. Together, we are seeing miracles. I don’t always recognize them as miracles because I don’t really have other things to compare to them but she tells me all the time “that never happens!’ or “people never let us talk to them like that!” I definitely believe we are here in Staten Island for a reason. We haven’t been able to find new investigators but we have been blessed to strengthen and reactivate less actives. People here are surrounded by the fast paced, depressed, overwhelming aspects of life. But the wonderful message that we as members of the church can share with them is that life can be full of joy, peace, and hope!! I know this because that is how my life feels. I love the life of a missionary!! I love studying for 3 hours everyday. I love being so busy that we forget to schedule time for lunch and dinner. I love serving the people here. It’s amazing how much faith people have when sometimes they are left with so little. I love my Savior. And I know He Lives. I love all this and more because I know the gospel of Jesus Christ is true and exists on earth today. I know it’s true because I have been able to experience it’s teachings by living it. And because I know and live the gospel (not perfectly but patiently) I love the gospel with all of my heart. I love repenting. I love praying and try to have a prayer in my heart continually. I love the Holy Ghost and know it is only through the Holy Ghost that what I say can have an effect on people. I love the Restoration, the Plan of Salvation, the Commandments and the Book of Mormon, the Atonement and I love the person I am becoming. I am becoming forever changed.

Just a few fun things that happened….last p-day my companion and I toured Staten Island a bit and took pictures by the gigantic turkeys and also saw some cool monuments of forts used in the Civil War. Fort Wadsworth? I think that is what it was called. Anyway it was pretty sweet! We also had a “Street Sweep” which means all the missionaries in our zone met at a church in Brooklyn and walked the streets handing out flyers for free English classes and church services. Why English classes? Well, because the streets are full of Chinese people!! Everywhere you look there are Chinese markets, Chinese writings…it’s crazy! So I learned how to say “free” in Chinese and tried to hand out the flyers but I’m pretty sure the people only took them because they thought I sounded funny haha It was great!!
Another fun thing this week was that one day when my companion wasn’t feeling well I took her to a place called “soup man”. It’s based off of the soup kitchen on Seinfield!  And it was delicious! We also had a couple in our ward make us dinner and then give us the grocery bags and said “Go Shopping” which meant we could fill our bags with anything in their pantry. They wouldn’t let us leave until they were full haha. What amazing people! Our fridge is full of meals from the loving ward members. We are hoping to gain their trust and serve them as much as they serve us.
So, Brandon Fenzano is going to be baptized May 5th! I can’t believe it’s already May!! I’m really excited for Brandon and for his family. His mom is less active and has just started to come back to church. She was burned 2 years ago and also suffers from arthritis and diabetes. But her testimony has strengthened when a bishop would visit her in the hospital and read scriptures to her while she was in a coma. Dad, I know you would do the same and I want you to know your influence on the ward will bless them for years. So it’s been 10 years since she’s been to church regularly and now that she is coming back her son is getting baptized. She is a faithful and wonderful example. Especially to her husband, who is not a member but has started to open up more with us and is beginning to be more friendly to the missionaries. We are praying and hoping that he will also have a change of heart one day. Of course, all in the Lord’s timing.
My trust in the Lord has become such an anchor. I know the Lord is the one performing this work. He is just blessing me to be His hands, mouth and servant. It’s only when I forget or let Satan distract me from remembering why I am here that I get down. But without fail, the Lord’s arm of mercy is always extended. I have set goals and I am striving to repent and change everyday. I want to bring the light of the gospel into as many homes as will allow me to. I want to live with God again and live with my eternal family (which includes all the people her) in happiness and peace. And I know it is through the Atonement of Christ that this is possible.
God Be With You Til We Meet Again, I love you all   Love, Sister Meyer

No comments:

Post a Comment